Life is precious. All life is precious. From the unborn child slowly developing in his mother’s womb to the old man knocking on death’s door – All life is precious. This coming Sunday is recognized as Sanctity of Human Life Sunday. Let’s take a few minutes and think about life.
Life is a precious gift. It is a beautiful gift. Abortion robs the unborn child of the gift of life. Abortion is murder. It is slaughter. It takes advantage of the helpless.
When discussing abortion, it often helps to share some stats. Because of delays in reporting statistics, 2008 is the most recent year for which data is available. These statistics come from the Guttmacher Institute. Given the close relationship between the Guttmacher Institute and Planned Parenthood (source), these statistics are undoubtedly biased in favor of the pro-abortion crowd. Nonetheless, they are still staggering. Consider the following statistics about our great state of Florida: (source)
- In 2008, there were a total of 94,360 abortions performed in Florida.
- In Florida, 381,500 of the 3,505,482 women of reproductive age became pregnant in 2008. 61% of these pregnancies resulted in live births and 25% in induced abortions.
Personally, abortion is one of the few things that really makes me angry. It stirs my emotions in deep ways. It boggles my mind that abortion can be defined as anything other than murder.
So, what can we do? I realize that not everyone can go protest outside an abortion clinic. Not everyone can donate large amounts of money to crisis pregnancy centers. But there are things we all can do.
- Talk about abortion. Ignoring the elephant in the room will not make it go away. Expose it. Tell your children about abortion. Do it appropriately. Call abortion what it really is. Use words like ‘murder’ and ‘slaughter.’ Websites like abort73.com are excellent at exposing the truth about abortion. Use these websites. (Use caution. Abortion is horrid. They describe it and show it with honesty.)
- Support local Crisis Pregnancy Centers. Here in Winter Haven, we have an excellent center right on Central Avenue. Visit www.lifechoicepregnancycenter.com to learn more about them. Take them baby formula, diapers, and anything else a young mother might need.
- Talk about Planned Parenthood. They are the largest abortion provider in our country. They receive millions of dollars from our federal government every year. (source) They are in Winter Haven and also in Lakeland. They are most likely in your town. Talk about them. Do what you can to oppose them. Do not get caught up in their political words. They can paint a beautiful picture of all that they do to help women. Remember, it does not matter how much good you do if you are slaughtering helpless children in the backroom.
- Help mothers. Unplanned pregnancies happen all the time. Often, we get upset at the mother for her decisions. However, remember her child. Resist the urge to play God by judging the mother. Instead, love her. Help her. Encourage her.
- Pray. Prayer can move mountains. Prayer can change hearts. It may seem like there is not much you can do. But, you can pray. “The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.” James 5:16 KJV
Life is a big deal. Let’s do all that we can to protect it.